Staff Screening Ltd (Staff Screening Ltd) is a limited company incorporated in England and Wales (Company number 13149160) registered address 1000 Great West Road Brentford TW8 9HH We provide screening services to our clients. Full details of the services we provide can be found in the Service Description
Staff Screening Ltd processes your personal data on behalf of our client. Any client of Staff Screening Ltd that engages Staff Screening Ltd to perform screening services in relation to you is the data controller of your personal data. Staff Screening Ltd is the data processor of your personal data and is committed to protecting your personal data.
If you have questions regarding your personal data and how we use it, please contact our Data Protection Officer using the contact details below:
Data Protection Officer
Staff Screening Ltd Ltd
1000 Great West Road
- Lawful basis for processing
- How we collect your personal data
- The types of personal data we collect
- Why we collect your personal data and how we use it
- Change of purpose
- How we handle your personal data
- How we protect your personal data
- Your rights as a data subject
- Updates and further information
- We collect your personal data in a number of ways which are listed below:
- When you provide personal information to us through our online portal
- When we have contact with you:
- When we speak to you on the phone;
- When you email us;
- When you send information to us through the post
- When you visit our website. From our client who requires your screening to be conducted
- We may also get personal data about you from third parties – please see the ‘Why we collect your personal data and how we use it’ section for more details.
Lawful basis for processing
Our client is responsible for determining the lawful basis for your screening.
The collection of your personal data is done in accordance with their instructions. Separately, will ask for your signed authorisation.
This Express authorisation is required to facilitate the screening process by enabling us to process your data and procure information from relevant parties.
Typically, these relevant parties (organisations and referees) will not share your information unless we can demonstrate our request is made with your knowledge and agreement. This authorisation does not alter the lawful basis for processing determined by our client. Furthermore, should you withdraw or withhold this authorisation it will have no bearing on our client’s lawful basis for screening.
If your offer of a role is dependent upon successfully undergoing screening (or if screening is required under your existing contract) then failure to authorise us to process your personal data for screening purposes may have implications on your contractual relationship with our client.
Staff Screening are not involved in any decisions relating to your contractual relationship with our client and can take no responsibility whatsoever for any actions taken by our client in connection with the screening process.
Should you have any questions in relation to the consequences of withholding your personal data and / or withholding or withdrawing your authorisation in connection with the screening process you should make contact with your HR Representative at our client.
The types of personal data we collect
The type of personal data we collect depends on where and when it is gathered and for what purposes we have gathered it:
Personal data we obtain from you
When you complete your screening questionnaire via our online portal we will collect information from you in order to provide our services to our clients.
Subject to the level of screening and types of checks required by our client, we may collect the following information (and/or relevant documentation to evidence the following information):
- Prefix and name (current and former)
- Contact email address
- Date of Birth
- Place of birth
- Contact phone number(s)
- Education details (including gaps)
- Employment details (including gaps)
- Current address
- Address history
- Photographic proof of identity
- Financial integrity information
- Criminal history
- Civil court record
- Professional qualifications
- Regulatory information
- Government-issued identity records/numbers
- Right to work information
- Directorship information
- Driving history/and insurance details
- Fitness and propriety questions
- Personal data collected when you visit our website
Information we obtain independently from you
As part of the screening process our client requires Staff Screening Ltd to verify the information that you have provided to us and conduct the checks (services) required for the screening. Staff Screening Ltd has a services description page which can be seen at our website.
It is important to note that not all screenings require the same levels of checks and verifications. Should you wish to know more as to the required checks or verifications relating to your screening, we recommend you contact the relevant HR contact at our client who instructed us to carry out the screening exercise.
Staff Screening Ltd has no control as to the exact information returned during a screening, and as a result cannot anticipate what information may be returned from a third-party source. As a data processor Staff Screening Ltd does not provide any opinion or make any decisions on what to report to our client, and therefore only provides the information in an objective manner. Our client (as data controller) is responsible for how it interprets the information.
The sources of information Staff Screening Ltd might use as part of a screening could include:
- Our client;
- Publicly available registers/sources of information such as print media archives, government watch or sanctions lists;
- Referees (including reference providers) such as previous institutions where you have studied, worked, are currently (or were previously) a director, obtained a professional qualification, have a professional membership with, your accountant to confirm periods of self-employment, job agencies to confirm periods of non-employment;
- Regulatory bodies who can confirm periods of registration, approval or disciplinary history;
- Credit reference agencies, bankruptcy databases or lists for the purposes of establishing financial integrity;
- Civil court records (to confirm whether you have has been subject to adverse proceedings);
- Directorship registers or holders of such information;
- Relevant government agencies such as licensing authorities who can confirm details pertinent to the employment screening process;
- Law enforcement agencies or bodies who maintain criminal history information (such as the Disclosure Barring Service for the UK), courts, police departments;
- Our trusted network of third party suppliers to enable your personal data checks to be completed in jurisdictions outside of the UK or in areas outside of our expertise.
Why we collect your personal data and how we use it
As previously stated in the ‘Lawful basis for processing’ section of this policy, our primary function is as a service provider to our clients, conducting the following types of services:
- Background screening of individuals before and during employment, volunteer or contractual relationships.
- Collection, validation and storage of on-boarding and other human resources documents.
We use your personal data in the following ways:
- To carry out our business and to provide our services to our clients.
- To keep the client updated of the progress of your screening or produce relevant reports for the client in relation to the screenings they have requested.
- To enable you to maintain a profile on your account which you can amend or delete.
Where applicable we may share your personal data with our trusted network of third party suppliers, to enable your personal data checks to be completed in jurisdictions outside of the UK or in areas outside of our expertise.
Change of purpose
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it (ie screening purposes as instructed by our client). Please note we may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, where this is required by law.
How we handle your personal data
We may share your personal data with some of our suppliers who perform services on our behalf. We make sure anyone who provides a service for Staff Screening Ltd enters into an agreement with us and meets our standards for data security. They will not use your personal data for anything other than the clearly defined purpose relating to the service that they are providing. We may share your details with:
- Suppliers who work on behalf of Staff Screening Ltd for the performance of any contract we enter into with them (eg to check your credentials and references in countries outside the UK).
- Where required to do so, for example when requested by the police or a regulatory or government authority investigating illegal activities.
How we protect your personal data
Staff Screening Ltd is committed to protecting the personal data you entrust to us. We adopt robust and appropriate technologies and policies, so the information we have about you is protected from unauthorised access and improper use.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. For further details please see our ‘Data Protection Guide for Candidates’.
In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify our clients and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
Staff Screening Ltd recognises that some countries do not have the same standard of data protection afforded in most EU States, for this reason Staff Screening Ltd has a strict supplier management policy which includes the screening of all new suppliers, annual security questionnaires and reviews, and the use of formal processing agreements. Our processing agreements also include terms dictating that the suppliers:
- are only permitted to process your personal data for employment screening purposes;
- can only retain your personal data for a maximum period of 90 days (unless they are restricted by law from doing this) following which they must securely delete such records;
- must immediately notify Staff Screening Ltd of any suspected or actual data breach of your personal data;
- shall take all appropriate technical and security measures to safeguard your personal data; and
- will only transfer your personal data in accordance with approved data transfer provisions.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, as determined by our client, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
In relation to the screening report and information gathered during the course of the screening, our client specifies the required data retention period for electronic/paper records. Subject to our legal and regulatory requirements, our screening platform will securely delete your personal data.
In the case of disposal of hard copy papers (typically pertaining to UK criminal record checks) these are managed by way of secure confidential waste bins installed on-site and secure on-site shredding; the destruction of all confidential waste is carried out to BS15713:2009 security shredding standard by appropriately vetted members of staff.
Should you wish to request further information relating to the relevant retention period of your records please contact the relevant HR contact at the client who instructed Staff Screening Ltd to undertake the screening exercise.
Your rights as a data subject
UK and European Data Protection legislation gives you (as a data subject) a number of rights which include:
- the right to information;
- the right to rectification;
- the right to erasure;
- the right to restrict processing;
- the right to request data portability; and
- the right to object to processing.
Please note some restrictions may apply to the applications of the rights. For further details, please refer to the information provided on the website of the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Please also note Staff Screening Ltd is a data processor acting on instructions to process your personal data from our client (the data controller). Staff Screening Ltd therefore advises you contact the HR representative at the client who intructed us to undertake your screening, should you wish to exercise any of your rights as a data subject. Staff Screening Ltd will assist our client to comply with fulfilling and evidencing such rights.
Right to Complain
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office – please refer to its website at www.ico.org.uk. You may contact the Information Commissioner’s Office as follows:
By email: Please complete the form at https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/
By phone: 0303 123 1113
By post: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Withdrawal of consent
Where you have been advised by our client that the lawful basis for processing your personal data for screening purposes is consent, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time. You can do this by contacting the client who instructed us to undertake your screening.
As previously stated, Staff Screening Ltd is not involved in any decisions relating to your prospective or continuing contractual relationship with our client. Staff Screening Ltd can therefore take no responsibility for any action resulting from being unable to complete our client’s requested screening procedure, because of you withdrawing your consent.
Updates and further information
Staff Screening Ltd 2021